Hello friends! Welcome back to another blog post and pattern review! Today, I want to share my most recent make, and give you a review of both the pattern and fabric that I used for this project.
Last month I participated in a collaboration with one of my good Instagram friends named Angie. We decided to recreate a Mimi G corduroy outfit. The primary focus of the project was the Simplicity S8890 pattern designed by Mimi G. After discussing our plans we found a picture on Pinterest of the Jacket pattern that Mimi G made. Once we saw the picture of Mimi G in her baby blue corduroy jacket and skirt we were sold, and decided immediately that we needed to recreate this project.
We were also excited to see that Mimi G posted a sew a-long video of this Jacket on her YouTube channel. I’ll talk more about the Jacket pattern and give a review of the pattern and tell you about my experience in a separate post. Today, I want to talk more about the skirt pattern that I used.
I used the Burda 6252 pattern to make the skirt portion of the outfit. It is a pattern that have two variations of a skirt with optional pockets, length variations and tabs.
This pattern is easy and designed for advanced beginners! I altered the skirt pattern to include a knee length variation. This was very easy and didn’t require any extra work. I just measured the skirt from the waistline to my desired length and created a horizontal line across the pattern in between views A and B. I didn’t have to shorten or lengthen the pattern to get the desired length because the hem is pretty consistent between the two variations.
There are two features of this pattern that really sold me. First, the pattern calls for 4 tabs to be placed directly under the waistband. I admit, the placement of the tabs are a bit odd, and will not allow a belt to be worn with the skirt. As such, the tabs are completely decorative and not functional at all. But they make for a great detail.
Second, the oversized pocket feature is cute and trendy. There are two options here. You could make view A, which includes oversized squared pockets that are placed approximately 4-5 inches below the waistband on the front of the skirt. Or you could make view B, which includes oversized pockets with a slanted opening that is placed on the front of the skirt and the top of the pocket is sandwiched in between the skirt and waistband.
The pattern consists of 6 pattern pieces; however, five of those pattern pieces are cutout twice, and one pattern piece is cutout eight times. So, prepare for a great deal of cutting.
As far as notions, the pattern calls for buttons or snaps for the closure, and interfacing for the waistband and pockets. I used 7- 5/8” rose colored durable plastic buttons from Joann fabrics. In hindsight, I would use metal snaps or Jean buttons for corduroy fabrics. Lastly, the pattern has a 1” hem allowance.
So let’s talk fabric choice! I purchased this yummy plum boysenberry cotton corduroy from Mood Fabrics. I’m in love with this fabric, and if they had this in their site for reorder I would have purchased more.
There are a few caveats, however. This cord is thick and the drape is quite stiff. Although the pattern I selected for this fabric was a decent choice, I would likely choose a lighter weight fabric for this skirt pattern in the future. Mostly, it was a bit challenging sewing the tabs to the skirt because the three layers of thickness made it difficult to pivot. Other than that, it was a successful project and I’m excited to add this skirt to my wardrobe.
That’s my review! I hope you enjoyed it! I will also have a video review of this pattern and fabric. If you want to hear more about this project go over to YouTube and watch my video! And please show your girl some love and subscribe! Thanks for stopping by! I look forward to hearing from you!